Thursday, June 14, 2012

To write or not to write

Ahh, writing.  The thing I have done and enjoyed for years.  Never would I have thought that I would be putting it off...  Writing professionally is something that can change that.

Yes, I know that I've not been writing five minutes, but I can still express how it feels when inundated with work that just needs to be completed, while you sit there staring at the screen, waiting for that magic title to pop into your head.  While this waiting may be hard to take, when you finally find that hidden creativity that results in the title your client is after, the surge of energy is almost orgasmic.  From a hunched wreck longing for another coffee you are transformed into a veritable writing machine, your fingers caressing the keys as your imagination creates an article fit for a king.

And then you finish.  You look through and add in the missing links and remove those inevitable erroneous commas, and then you relax.  The article is complete.  You save your work again and open a new document...and the whole merry-go-round of despair and elation begins again.

Perhaps more than any other profession, writing offers a full range of emotions to torture and exalt the soul.  And when writing for a living, going through this process ten times in a day...need I say more?  Perhaps it is personality building or perhaps I am starting to know why my journalist friends are going gray.  But, truly, I wouldn't have it any other way.  While I may currently be stuck in a literal hole, my metaphorical one is left long behind.  Writing for a living, and not just that, working for myself, has set me free personally.  It may be early days and once those late payments start adding up and those tax bills start piling up I may change my mind, but for now contentment is close at hand - though I cannot wait for our new flat to be finished and our move to be complete: while my cave may have given me a great idea it is not the most comfortable place to work in the world.

But to reality.  Soon I will let the world know about how a flat changes throughout its renovation (as well as how I still cannot help those erroneous apostrophes that keep attempting to creep into my work) and how it takes shape in the next month.  Here's to hoping it's finished by July!

0 comments:

Post a Comment